|Title:||Controller - Sector|
|Location:||New York, NY|
Volunteers of America-Greater New York is the largest affiliate of the national organization, with more than 90 programs and 1,300 staff in the metropolitan New York area, Westchester and Nassau counties, and Northern New Jersey.
Skilled and dedicated staff, and generous corporate and individual community partners, help tens of thousands of people in need every year. Whether the needs are short-term, like case management and temporary shelter, or long-term help like permanent supportive housing, we have the commitment, experience and relationships necessary to provide high quality, comprehensive services to a wide range of people in need in the New York metropolitan area.
The Sector Controller reports to the Chief Financial Officer and Business Manager and provides hands-on fiscal and operational support to the Business Manager for the sector and its programs. S/he is responsible for managing designated financial operations of the sector, efficient and professional functioning of the sector’s programs with respect to billing, budgeting, accounting and operational matters, including the effective understanding and implementation of VOA-GNY technology and software in accordance with VOA-GNY’s policies and procedures. Supports the Business Manager and supports finance in agency and contract budget preparation and reporting, fiscal and operational analysis, reporting, billing and purchasing as it relates to the sector.
Bachelor’s degree in accounting / business, plus eight years of relevant accounting, administrative and operational experience, with at least three years of supervisory experience. Relevant experience: similar role with an agency with government contracts; or, an Internal Auditor with superior technical and supervisory skills, who is able to translate her/his understanding of agency funding, controls and work flow into actionable and superior operations and process improvement.
This employee should possess superior communications and analytical skills. Advanced proficiency in spreadsheet applications and word processing is required. Ability to lead direct reports and persuade colleagues in the sector, HR, Finance, Risk Management, Purchasing, etc. through competency, solid communication and follow-through are required.
- Prepare and supervise preparation of billings by sector staff, collection of revenues, and follow-up with funders. Review work flow and interdependencies between the sector and finance to improve quality and accuracy of submissions to finance, identify and eliminate inefficient work flow and improve timeliness of billing and collection of receivables.
- Assist Business Manager in preparing Sector annual budget and mid- year budget modifications by contract. Timely prepare and file contract budgets and modifications with funding agencies to secure and protect financing for each contract in cooperation with Budget Analyst in finance. Respond to and assist in preparing responses to funder agency requests for information, audits and support.
- In support of Business Manager, manage program purchasing activities and approval of invoices including subcontracting in cooperation with Purchasing and according to bid policies and procedures. Identify areas where continuous cost improvements through efficient purchasing or through planned building maintenance can be achieved.
- Support Strategic Initiatives, Business Manager and Finance in integrating necessary maintenance of buildings and expenditures for client safety into annual funder and agency budgets, and funder budget modifications to reduce / eliminate annual spend down.
- Manage property control including petty cash and client funds. In support of Business Manager, maintain inventory in accordance with funder requirements using Real Asset Management (RAM) software. Sign off on annual compliance with inventory policy for the sector.
- Analyze financial results, reports and make recommendations for operational improvements. Prepare monthly and quarterly variance analyses using agency produced financial reports and systems (including MIP, Microix).
- Ensure that all expenses are incurred in accordance with contract terms to eliminate non-allowable expenses. Adhere to monthly general ledger close calendar to allow for appropriate review by and with Business Manager and VOA-GNY Controller. Ensure all journal entries and disbursements for each contract are in accordance with contract terms and policy.
- Manage designated staff.
Make a living by making a difference. Apply online today!
Volunteers of America is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Vets/Disabled.